I’ve visited many esthetician’s during my journey to clear skin. Here are some pointers for those of you who want to get the help of a professional:
- Yelp estheticians in your area. Read reviews, but make sure they are not emotion-driven.
- Ask the professional if they have lots of experience dealing with your specific skin issue (hormonal acne, cysts, hyperpigmentation, etc.)
- Look at their site, make sure you’re liking what you see and would be comfortable with them handling your face.
- When you walk in, if you’re not being asked questions about your skin, lifestyle, medications and so on, run. It’s important for the professional to know your skin before doing anything major like a peel or a microdermabrasion session.
- Pay attention to the way your skin reacts after a facial. Sometimes it can take up to a week to notice the difference so you have to be patient, especially if it’s your first one (most patients purge the scar and that’s okay – it goes away). They will explain those details to you.
- A menu is cute and all… “which facial would you like today?”. Nah, make sure they are able to create a program specifically for your skin and you two can work on it together.
An esthi can be a huge help for your skin. They are trained and well-versed when it comes to skin. Just remember, if you’re not doing your part at home with the right products, good diet, and lifestyle habits, that’s on you. Hold yourself accountable and practice disciplining yourself if you really want to clear your skin.
ps. If you’re in the LA area, Mindi Walters is the queen. <3